
Rainy Night Flight Fright
The freeway, wet, dark & shimmering,
stretches out before me in the rain
twisting & curving thru the countryside
headlight beams of oncoming vehicles
glance off the shiny surface
& blind unsuspecting drivers.
I am cautiously cruising to a gig,
a big break in my poetry career,
a high visibility show in Lowell
that will catapault my work & I
to beloved national poet status;
dollar signs shone green in my eyes.
I was on time, but lagging a bit,
darn thunder storms for weeks
had slowed life down to a crawl,
bridges & roads had been washed out;
if I kept at a steady pace all the way
I'd just make it to the event, early even.
Bright red break lights scream on
as fellow travelers romp down the pedal
due to an oncoming emergency
white/red/white/red blur into one
as a car ahead spins out of control
on my side of the thouroughfare.
I gracefully press down on the pedal
& slow to a crawl in the high speed lane
inches from the trailer in front of me
LED light glares from 12 recessed bulbs
I don my sunglasses & light a cigarette,
I've half a pack & a full tank, I'll make it.
The spinning car slows & comes to a stop
nose on the median & tail across the lane,
the high speed lane & now I'm stopped.
Camel Light embers glows brighter
as I take a poke to relax my nerves;
anxiety's rising, I'll be late for sure now.
Creep, creep, creep along at 5 mph
as cars on the right make way for merging
from the far left lane snaking around the spin-out.
At long last I'm in position to pass
I move past carefully looking at the car,
the bumper stickers seem familiar somehow.
I ease my car around the Blue Taurus
just like mine I think as I pass.
The driver turns to look at me
& thru the blood & sweat on his face
I recognise the driver & I scream,
"Oh MY God That's Me!!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thanks for the comment - visit and friend me on Facebook, where you can find me by searching for Da Butcha Shoppe.